Are you an aspiring Overseas Filipino Worker? Have you decided to work abroad to earn Dollars? Yen? Dinar? Euros? Riyals? Pounds? Ringgit? Or perhaps Dirhams? Do you want to join the bandwagon of so-called, Filipino Expats? Would you like to grow professionally and improve personally while traveling to your dream destinations during your annual leave from work? Sure, you have been inspired by your parents, encouraged by relatives, probably motivated by friends who became successful by being an OFW, but are you ready to become one yourself?
Here’s your RANDOM OFW CHECKLIST.
(And this is not part your employer’s requirements).
1. Are you capable of doing things on your own? Do you see yourself doing your laundry, preparing and cooking meals, washing dishes, ironing your clothes, even after a long and tiring day at work? Can you imagine doing those chores all by yourself? No housemaid, no parents, no friends to help you out?
2. Do you think you can endure homesickness? What about loneliness? Or being alone in a country so greek to you?
3. Is it fine with you to be treated as second or even third-class-citizen?
4. Are you ready to leave your comfort zone?
5. Are you willing to be away from your family, relatives and friends?
6. Are you prepared to adjust and adapt to a new country? A new place? A new working environment?
7. Are you willing to accept diversities and practices without prejudice? Are you open-minded to accept diversities in culture (ever heard of culture shock?), religion, food and even climate change?
8. Are you emotionally capable of enduring not to celebrate your loved ones’ special occasions, like birthdays, anniversaries, graduation rites, because you’re miles away from them?
9. Do you see yourself celebrating holidays like Christmas, New Year’s eve, Valentine’s Day, or even your own birthday alone, without your families and friends, or worse, at work?
10. Do you think you’ll be capable of following restrictions and abiding laws and regulations, that at times, you’ll not understand why you need to follow?
11. Are you willing to be stressed out in previously routinary and easy tasks?
12. Do you think you’ll be capable of rising from financial difficulties and burdens as living and working abroad may be expensive?
13. Do you think you’ll spend your hard-earned money wisely?
14. Are you prepared to withstand various attitude, mood swings and cultural differences between you and your colleagues?
15. Do you think you’ll be capable of surviving the possibilities of losing your job? Are you strong enough to rise to the challenge of finding a new job?
16. Are you comfortable of making new friends while dealing with differences.
17. Can you endure a LDR (long distance relationship) with your spouse, with your child(ren), or with your significant other?
18. Do you think you’ll be ready to face political and administrative issues?
19. Are you willing to support your family while supporting yourself financially?
20. Are you prepared for a whole new life?